Thursday, November 10, 2011

Important rules of Play to our Children

Play is important for our children development.

Before i became a parent, i never had any idea.  A play is a play, it is a part of my wonderful childhood, maybe I learn a little of something, but i never had any clue.

anyways, i moved New Zealand from Philippines.  I have had quickly adapted this beautiful country and there's plenty for me to learn -- it is so overwhelming.  When i enrolled my son in the kindergarten, i thought they are going to learn the basic stuff that they need to learn.  I thought, they are to sit down, practice writing and learning the ABC's, shapes and color etc...But i was shocked, they were just plainly playing.  I was thinking maybe they learn during their Mat time but nothing -- then that day is over.

When i got the chance to work around children i expanded my knowledge.  I learned that play contributes a huge part of our children's growth.

What are those important contribution? developing out children's  cognitive, physical, social and emotional well being.

I have noticed too! that play benefited me because i got the chance to engage with my children fully.  Undivided attention to them and I felt more relaxed knowing that i spent time with my kids.

Kids made a boat using foil, to see how long it float.

  • Kids wants to experiment -- through free play they have many chances to make mistakes, get back up to try again.
  • Children needs to learn control -- handling sands, manipulate playdough and water teach them to control their own action.
  • Understanding their surroundings - Adults playing with children and explaining or talking to them of what is happening with the play makes them understand using words.
  • They can explore their curiosity, without boundaries. 
  • Share their enthusiasm with others such as adult or playmate.
Simple play such as blowing bubbles or pouring water helps developing our children's skills.  We do not need expensive play area for them to have fun.  Let their imagination roll.


Bubble receipe
1 Tbsp white sugar
3 Tbsp boiling water
9 Tbsp liquid detergent
Dissolve sugar in boiling water then add liquid detergent. Store for 3 days before using.

Homemade Water Coloring
  • 3 tbsp baking soda
  • 3 tbsp cornstarch (I used cornflour here in New Zealand)
  • 3 tbsp white vinegar
  • 1 1/2 tsp light corn syrup
  • food coloring, add sparingly to individual pots

Even though we are adults and most of the time we love to get serious, but we love to play too! .... I know i am! i love the time chasing my children, i love the sound of laughter and it is a great exercise too!.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Every day is a good day to learn something new"
THANKS FOR FOR COMMENTING...I LOVE RETURNING THE FAVOR.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...